Sunday, April 08, 2012

Bruce x 4

On Tuesday night, I got to see Bruce Springsteen for the fourth time! I had such a blast. It wasn't my favorite show - but it was still pretty cool! The band was so big and loud and rockin. There was a good mix of classics and a little bit of the new stuff. And, there were some very touching moments in tribute to the Big Man, Clarence Clemons, who died last year.

My friend Tony and I got to the arena around 5 for some tailgaiting. We had lots of beers and a grill. Tony knows how to get ready for a concert - which is party of the reason I wanted to go with him. The other reason is he's also a big fan and I wanted to go with someone who would know all the songs as well as I did for a change! The weather was gorgeous and we made some friends out in the lot. Springsteen fans are all pretty cool. We all chatted about our favorite songs and shows and being from Jersey! I ran into one of my old co-workers about a row over from us.

 Here we are feeling kind of blurry! 


I work with this guitar! 

The show didn't start until 8:30 - I think it was just under 3 hours in all. We were up pretty high, but had a good view on the side of the stage. These were some of my favorite moments:

- During My City of Ruins (which is about the town where I now work!), Bruce did his band intro and still did that "Do I have to say his name" in honor of Clarence. He said something like - you're here and we're here and the music's here so he's here. The crowd was insane and I know I had tears in my eyes!

- E Street Shuffle was a super cool surprise! I love the really old stuff and I don't think I've heard this one live.


- Apollo Medley. I wonder if my friend Krista knows which songs he did in this bit. Bruce came out to the middle of the stage and sang some great oldies. He also chugged a beer from the audience and crowd surfed back to the stage. He is one rockin' 60 year old. (**I found out what those songs were!)


- The guy in front of us kept us entertained by performing interpretive hand gestures to every single lyric. It was insane.

- Because the Night is one of my favorite karaoke songs to sing with my friend Dean, who was somewhere in the rows below us. Loved hearing that live!

- Tenth Avenue Freeze Out. Right before "And the big man joined the band" Bruce said here comes the important part and took a big pause. The whole place was screaming. He looked like he was mouthing "I pray" and like he was going to cry before he continued on with the song. It was amazing!

During the encore


This was the set list. I like Wrecking Ball, but not all of the new album stuff, but there were lots of other good ones.


We Take Care of Our Own
Wrecking Ball
Badlands
Death to My Hometown
My City of Ruins
So Young and In Love
E Street Shuffle
Jack of All Trades
Seeds
Prove It All Night
Easy Money
Waitin' on a Sunny Day
The Promised Land
Apollo Medley (The Way You Do The Things You Do/634-5789)

American Skin (41 Shots)
Because the Night
The Rising
We Are Alive
Thunder Road
* * *
Rocky Ground (with Michelle Moore) **** Probably my least favorite song on any Bruce album.
Out in the Street
Born to Run
Dancing in the Dark
Land of Hope and Dreams
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home