Saturday, November 05, 2011

On my bookshelf

My reading has slowed down a bit lately and there are few books in progress on my nightstand. But I think I have found one of my new favorite books ever, The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I just finished listening to it for a second time.

I was seriously intrigued from the first line. "The circus arrives without warning." Les Cirque de Reves is a magical and mysterious place filled with impossible acts, stunning sights and delicious treats. It was just described so vividly - I felt jealous of characters who got to go! I think I will be getting a red scarf like the cult-like group of fans who followed the circus - which was a pretty cool network considering most of this book is set more than a century ago! Fueling the circus is a magical competition between two students, who try to outdo each creating even more wondrous additions and spectacles. The book also follows the group of people brought together to create the circus, a pair of red headed twins born the night the circus opened, a clock maker, and a boy who dreams of the circus while facing his family's plans for his future. There are a lot of people - but I thought they were all fascinating and tied together so well. I don't want to give much away, but I will say it is simply magical.

The audiobook was read by Jim Dale, who did all the Harry Potter audiobooks, and was very entertaining.

I'm also reading Mindy Kaling's new book, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? She might not be as slapstick as Tina Fey or raunchy as Chelsea Handler, but she is just so funny an adorable. I love Mindy on the Office - where she's also a writer, and love her Twitter posts and talk show stints. I want to be her friend! I'm only halfway through, but have had lots of laugh out loud moments. And while she might be snarky, I don't think she's cynical and that is a pretty rare thing these days. I'm enjoying reading about how she got started in comedy and I'm already hoping there are even bigger things in store for her.



1 Comments:

Anonymous Tania said...

might have to try the Night Circus Robin, thanks for the recommendation.

November 06, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home