Sunday, October 30, 2011

Greetings from Asbury Park


So much has happened in the last two weeks! Friday was my last day at The Journal News. I've been working there since 2000 and it was just crazy to have to pack up my desk (I had no idea how much stuff I'd been hoarding!) and say goodbye to some very good friends.

They even got me a cake - which I am sorry to say I didn't even try - because I also brought in cupcakes - red velvet and pumpkin (which were amazing!). I had to give a little speech and babbled like an idiot about how much I'll miss them.

But I won't really be going to far! I'm starting tomorrow at the Asbury Park Design Studio. My job at TJN was coming to an end because all the design work at Gannett papers is being consolidated at several centers across the country. I was very reluctant to make this move because I thought it was too far and that it would be the design equivalent of working at a fast food restaurant. But after talking to some people and visiting the studio, my mind was completely changed. The people all seem really nice and that they like working there. I'm going to be working on features pages and I'll be working normal daytime hours for the first time! The commute isn't even that bad - it's about the same distance in the opposite direction.

Each studio has a themed logo depending on the location - Phoenix has a cactus. Louisville has a horse. Des Moines has a cow. Nashville has an acoustic guitar. So if you know me, you'll know why I should be a good fit in Asbury! The symbol: Bruce Springsteen's guitar!


I start tomorrow at 9 a.m.! I hope I can get some sleep tonight. I have training for a week and then I'm off to Disney World! Since I'm transferring, I get to keep my benefits, too. That's a nice perk!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Tania said...

So many changes Robin, congrats on your new job and Disney sounds great!

October 31, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home