Monday, July 18, 2011

Veggie Patch


This year I really wanted to start a veggie patch. I've never grown anything before, so I thought I'd be happy if I got one tomato. But my little plants are doing really great!

My veggie patch 6.2.2011
My veggie patch. 7.2.2011

I started out with some tomatoes and cherry tomatoes, along with some basil, rosemary and cilantro. Then I added some cucumbers, eggplant and peppers. I'm also growing sunflowers from a little starter kit, which was a gift for my birthday.

I'm using pots - I got them in my favorite color at Target! - because the grassy side of our yard is kind of gross. It's filled with weeds and berries from my neighbors tree. And I wanted to keep my plants out of Penny's reach. The dog house she's afraid of makes a great plant stand!


It has been really fun taking care of my plants and watching them grow. I've been doing a lot of research. I found out my cilantro started to "bolt" because it got too hot. Although it did make for some good salsa while it lasted. The tomatoes were the first to come in - I had forgotten how good tomatoes can be! And now I've got little cucumbers, peppers and an a little eggplant starting to grow.

My nieces came over this weekend and helped me do a little gardening. They helped with watering. Taylor was excited to pick tomatoes. Kylie didn't want to because she doesn't like tomatoes - but she did have her eye on a cucumber.


My family has been asking my secret. I water the plants everyday. Pick off some dead leaves. Give them plant food - that stuff is like crack. And I talk to them. Yeah, that sounds crazy, but I hear that's what great gardeners do. I like to thank them for growing.

My first tomatoes in a salad!

And I really can't wait until they grow some more so I have even more veggies to eat, cook and share with my family. Next year, I plan on expanding.

Here are some more pics...

Cucumber flower

Who knew eggplant flowers were so pretty!
The little eggplant starting to grow

Here's what it looks like now
My sunflowers
A little pepper. It'll be red some day!

3 Comments:

Blogger Melinda said...

I love Mr. Gnome hanging out in your tomato pot :) and I'm so happy your gardening is going well this year. Maybe I could handle that small of a garden 'patch' ;) You know, I just realized from your pictures that my mom has that same doghouse in her garage and I've been moving it around looking for things all summer- Rusty never used it either LOL

July 18, 2011  
Blogger job kimani said...

wow those pics are incredible!!are you planting for sale or for your own consumption?

July 19, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fun!! LOL at the doghouse plant stand!

July 26, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home