Tuesday, December 01, 2009

I'm not ready for December!

Why is that December always comes and goes so quickly? The holidays just creep up on you and before you know it, it’s all over. Today I finished the last piece of Aunt Eileen’s apple and crasin pie, but skipped the turkey. Our fridge is still stuffed with Thanksgiving leftovers. I’ve been trying to get creative with them. I made some quiche with leftover bread and broccoli and a sort of shepherd’s pie with turkey. Next year, the relatives need to take more food home with them!

I’m not the kind of person who is ready for Christmas as soon as Thanksgiving is over, but there’s no escaping it. The commercials. The songs on the radio. The Hallmark and Lifetime movies my mom is always watching. (A Dog Named Christmas on CBS the other night was a big old sap fest!) One of my neighbors was up on his roof putting up a blow-up Santa. I don’t mean to be Grinchy, but it just seems that Christmas gets more overwhelming every year. We usually don’t put up the tree until the middle of the month. I did get myself a cute little hedgehog ornament at Target the other day and I watched Elf so that’s me getting in the spirit of things. I have so many things I don’t even what to start thinking about – the gifts, the cards, finishing up scrapbook projects, baking. I think I’ll wait until the weekend to make my to-do list.

And well, I got some news today that kind of puts a damper on things. Corporate announced another round of furloughs for the first quarter of next year. We probably won’t get raises again, too. I really don’t mind the time off, but I do worry about money. It means I’m going to need to be a little thrifty with the gifts and I might not be getting myself a new camera or Wii like I had hoped. I am trying really hard not to feel down about it.

But on a positive note, I realized today that I’ve got 30 more days left in Project 365. I took a photo of my new pink scarf. I had a little scare the other day thinking that I lost my camera! (I seem to lose my camera or phone at least once a day.) And my biggest worry was losing my photos from the week. I’m glad that I’ve stuck to this project all year. I’ve learned so much about taking photos and it’s really made me appreciate the little things.

I’ve been scrapping a monthly page featuring my 365 photos, but I’m not happy with how some of them are displayed. I’m thinking of doing something else with them, but I haven’t figured that out yet. Because I really need another project!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find Christmas overwhelming too, Robin. Luckily for me, Mark does most of the heavy-duty shopping without too much complaining. Gifts for everyone other than our two kids are going to be *very* minimal this year due to finances, so that makes the prep a bit easier. I think we're probably going to be cutting back on cards this year too, haven't decided for sure yet.

I'm sorry to hear about the furloughs. :(

Congrats on P365!!! That's fabulous! :) I was only hit or miss with it, and then when I had my major computer issues in the spring, I pretty much just gave up. Maybe I'll try again next year... or at least try to do P52. :)

December 01, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home