Friday, April 18, 2008

Playing games

I did this page for the Studio Start this week and it took a lot of thinking!
I was trying to remember all the board games we've played over the years and they fell into different groups: games we had as kids, games Grandma had in the basement that belonged to my aunts and uncles (I'm still trying to remember the name of one game in which you dropped marbles in the top and then tried to catch them with these little shovels through holes.), games we weren't allowed to have because they were too noisy (Operation, Perfection - although someone finally gave Randi Hungry Hungry Hippos for her birthday one year!), and drinking games (I am never playing Pass Out again!!!!). It took me forever to remember the name of Trivia Adventure, which I remembered had planets on the board. We had that before they came out with the kid's version of Trivial Pursuit. No one ever wanted to play with me because I always won! Credits

I also remembered there was this photo of Randi and our cousin Robert that was part of the scans from Grandma. They are playing a Rainbow Bright game. There are just so many things I love about this photo. There's a Trapper Keeper in the background. My old book shelf with all my books from when I was a kid. The crocheted pillow my mom had on the couch. Our ugly rug and wall paper. The basket filled with mismatched socks. The case for VCR tapes on our old entertainment center. I forgot the house looked like that! The only thing that looks the same is the clutter! Still have that! LOL!

I'm off to do a little exercise now. My theory seemed to be right. Work was not too stressful last night. Not sure if it's because I was dealing with different people or what. But tonight I'm doing two cover pages and I want to be prepared!

3 Comments:

Blogger Meredith said...

fun layout!

that photo and your comments about it are the exact reason that I am so leery of cropping my photos. Sure, my page might not look so pretty with the cluttered photo full of messy house, but that's real life. And when I crop out the messy bookshelf, I'm cropping out the books, too. When I crop out the basket of toys or the basket of laundry, I'm cropping out that favorite toy or Hannah's favorite shirt. So, that's my excuse for cluttered, poorly composed photos on my layouts! :) Thanks for helping to remind me why I leave them as is.

April 18, 2008  
Blogger Meredith said...

okay, so after i read that, i was like "hmmm, that didn't sound very nice, mere!" so, i'm back to say that YOUR pictures aren't cluttered or messy or whatever, but your comments helped me remember why i leave mine that way sometimes. when you remove the everyday life from photos, you remove a piece of the memories and the culture.

April 18, 2008  
Blogger Melinda said...

I loved reading all of your recollections about the things in the old photo! I agree with Meredith- definitely a reason not to crop old photos. That is one of the things I love about scanning them and scrapping them digitally- I still have the original intact, no matter what I do with the digital version. Great Studio Starts challenge. I have a LO I started about a Monopoly game a REALLY long time ago I might have to drag out and finish, if I can figure out where I stuck the file. It's not a list, but maybe it can count anyway LOL!

April 19, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home