Thursday, March 13, 2008

Dentists

Sigh! I just got back from the dentist and I'm so depressed. Usually, my visits go great. The hygentist yells at me for not flossing enough but that's the worst of it.

I haven't had a cavity since before I had braces. So now the filling needs to be redone.
And on top of that, I may need root canals on my front teeth and crowns on my 6 front teeth. I have had really bad stomach problems for years and all the acid reflux, etc., has taken it's toll on my teeth. So the enamel has gotten very weak and my front teeth have become terribly sensitive.

I'm so freaked out. I don't like having any medical stuff done. But I'm also so worried about how much all of this is going to cost me and how painful it's going to be. I feel like every time I start digging out of the hole financially, something sets me back.

So has anyone had root canals or crowns? Tell me how bad it was or wasn't!!!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Aunrea said...

You are lucky! I take care of my teeth but always have cavities. My dentist says I have soft teeth. Anyway I have had many root canals and it depends on the dentist whether it's a good or bad experience. Let your dentist know that your apprehensive about it, that usually helps and can make the experience less stressful. If your dentist uses water drill and you have any sensitivity to cold that can be very painful, although it's suppose to be painless. The rushing water gets very cold and it touches all teeth, not just the ones that are numb do to anesthesia.

March 13, 2008  
Blogger Meredith said...

Personally, I haven't had any done. My husband just had one done and the worst part of it was that he kept coming un-numb. it took the dentist HOURS to do the root canal because the numbing stuff wasn't working. so, his jaw was sore for about a week and he got an ear infection from having his mouth open like that for so long. The dentist told him that's not normal.

Unless you completely trust your dentist, I would get a second opinion. There may be something else you can have done that would be less expensive. My husband has been going to his dentist for years and we still feel like we got ripped off on the price. We ended up getting charged about $300 more than if we had gone to someone else. Good luck! I hate going to the dentist.

March 13, 2008  
Blogger Melinda said...

oh {{{hugs}}} I hate the dentist- nothing really bad has happened, but I guess over the years all of the 'unpleasantness' of everything I've had done just built up. I don't have any first hand experience with those things, but a second opinion may not be a bad idea. Or at least check out prices with other dentists.

March 13, 2008  
Blogger clc said...

I agree with Meredith and Melinda about getting a second opinion. I've had a root canal and it was NOT a pleasant experience. My husband has had several that he said didn't hurt - go figure. I've had reflux for years too but taking Nexium daily has helped a lot and I haven't had any tooth erosion since I started it. You might want to talk to your GP about Nexium or Prilosec. I've got porcelain "jackets" on my two front teeth - it stopped the erosion and sensitivity and they were cheaper than the LOTS of crowns I have. I'll be thinking of you - let us know how this comes out!

March 13, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home