Saturday, June 02, 2007

Strawberry Fields Forever

Just got back from the Beatles Brunch at BB Kings! My favorite Beatles tribute band plays there every weekend and Bettty suprised me with tickets for my birthday! I have seen them play before at Beatlesfest, where they performed only a song or two in the Battle of the Bands. And they were always the best ones there!

The food was not all that, but the show was pretty amazing! They start out dressed up in the matching suits - like in their early days and did a bunch of songs from the early albums. Lots of good rocking stuff, I saw her standing there, Twist and Shout, She Loves You, Act Naturally, Roll Over Beethoven, Slow Down, You Can't Do That. Randi and I were probably the only people there with the exception of the band and Bob Buckman from Q104.3 who knew all the songs. They also did Till There Was You, one of my faves, and And I Love Her.
Their performances were so dead on. They had all the mannerisms perfect, pretty good accents, the same guitars.


Then they took a break and changed into their Sgt Peppers Costumes. This section of the show was kinda cool because those were all songs the Beatles never did live - Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, All You Need Is Love, Got to Get You Into My Life, Magical Mystery Tour, I am the Walrus. George acted a little trippy during the whole thing and mock perfomed some of the instruments during Penny Lane.

Then they changed again, into more Let It Be era clothes. They did some of my faves, Get Back, Rocky Racoon, Don't Let Me Down, Revolution. Paul was the best one. (Which was super cool since he is my favorite Beatle!) He did a perfect McCartney - especially the deeper singing and crazy yelling he did in those later era songs. Randi said to me at one point that if you looked at the screen and not the stage, it looked like you were watching the Beatles. It really was the next best thing! So these pictures aren't great - I couldn't find a good setting on the camera and it was dark, but I tried to lighten them up a bit. But you can get the idea. We had a great view too and a great booth table! Much better than the long table on the side where we sat to see Brian Wilson there!

Did you all know I was a Beatles freak? :) I checked myself out of a hospital against doctor's orders to see Paul, and have seen Ringo twice. I've been to Strawberry Fields sing alongs several times, and stood online at a book signing trying to see Paul. I have a whole shelf of books, another of CDs, and another of videos. They are also the reason for my self imposed ebay ban. So I'm still super excited from the show - or maybe it's just the 4 cups of coffee I've had this since this morning. Feel like digging out my Anthology videos and watching them all over again!

2 Comments:

Blogger Melinda said...

Now that looks like a ton of fun!!! I'm glad you had a great time. I could probably sing a lot of the Beatles songs right along with you- went through a Beatles phase during HS LOL Great stuff that will never go out of style :D

June 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you enjoyed the show! Looks like a blast! I had a Beatles phase in high school too, and still like to put on a CD from time to time. :)

June 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home