Saturday, March 11, 2006

The future of Douglass

I didn't think this would bother me as much as it is, but I'm really upset. I'm sure some of you have seen my ramblings of late about my college. Well the board of governors voted today to make the changes and consolidate the colleges, effectively elimiintaing the only public women's college in the U.S. And on one hand, Rutgers was a mess - just a big, confusing mess of a university. We called it the RU Screw. But at least Douglass was a comfortable place within that chaos. (For anyone not in NJ, it's just to complicate a school to even explain.)

I wouldn't have gone to Rutgers College. I did get in. Randi and Mike both went there. Randi's graduation was so long compared to mine. When I graduated, Dean Shailor didn't just shake my hand, she gave me a hug because she knew me.

And it all started when Betty and I went for the honors program interviews our senior year of H.S. We probably had the lowest SAT scores in the bunch because our school district had nothing on the suburan Jersey schools. But Rebecca and Dr. Crozier took us in anyway because they knew we were worth much more than our scores. At RC, they probably wouldn't have even opened my application - Randi didn't even get and she had a higher score than I did too.

So I wonder what will happen to other young women like me and what will happen to all those traditions.

It's just so sad.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

We are a group of students from Nanyang Technological University Singapore, School of Communication and Information, currently doing a research on bloggers' behaviors. We would appreciate your help in answering the following questions on your blogging habits.

We found your blog through a random search for blogs on the Internet.

Your response is very important to us and we will ensure utmost confidentiality. After all, what do you have to lose? A few minutes of your time, which goes to accomplishing our research?

We would not be able to express how much we appreciate your reply. Thank you! (:

Please send a reply to cs105survey@gmail.com and indicate your blog address as the subject title.

Regards.

March 11, 2006  
Blogger Tania said...

So sorry to hear that Robin, it must be upsetting to say the least!

March 12, 2006  
Blogger Audimc said...

So sorry to hear about your school Robin! It sounds like an awesome place!!

March 12, 2006  
Blogger Melinda said...

I'm sorry about the decision on the fate of your college- I know how much it meant to you {{HUGS}}

March 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is still a all girls college in the usa! it is Notre Dame of Ohio. My niece went there and graduated top of class mcl etc... she was on presidents and deans list all four years and is now a vp for bank of america....so dont be sad there is still a all womens college in the usa!!

March 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home