Sunday, March 26, 2006

Baptism, pagans and memory

Today was Kylie's baptism. The way it's done in our church is just weird to me. It's like drive-through christenings. There are usually 4 or more kids all done at once and the priest has a really heavy accent. Granted, most people in our families and community have accents because most people including my family and Vesna's family are immigrants, but I have no idea what this guy is saying. Can't understand a thing. His speech wasn't as horrible as the one he gave at Taylor's, but it was still awful. Something about how children are pagans before baptism and how parents have the responsibility to feed them chinese food. Not exactly a heart-warming or uplifting family-friendly event. And being a crowded, drive-through event, you don't have much time to take photos. I got about 2 shots (1 blurry) of the baptism (family can stand on the side) before I had to grab Taylor, who came hopping up the aisle because she wanted to see her mommy.
At Taylor's baptism, this guy lectured about how in China and Africa the children are pagans and spewed on about horrible things that happen to them. It was repulsive and just inaccurate! I'm sorry, but that's not what I was taught in my religion classes or in church. And then they took all the parents, godparents, babies and grandparents into a little nook for the actual baptism. All of us aunts, uncles, siblings, friends, cousins sat around bored while they did the drive-through thing in the corner and got no pictures at all. I would think that baptism should be a welcoming celebration, not a sermon that would turn your stomach.
Well anyway, Kylie was so good. She was the only baby not crying. But just like Taylor, she looked like she wanted out of the big, poofy white dress!
After we went to a nice Italian restaurant for the party and the food was pretty good. Didn't get any sauce or wine on my white shirt! When we got back, Randi and I opened up the Winnie the Pooh Memory game mom got Taylor and she beat me twice.

4 Comments:

Blogger Melinda said...

Doesn't sound like a very uplifting sort of experience to me either. and not being able to at least get pictures makes it even worse.

I'm giving Brenna a Dora Memory game tomorrow, I guess we will see if I am able to do any better (probably not LOL!) ;)

Oh, and I like the haircut- it looks nice!

March 27, 2006  
Blogger Margie said...

Wow-that does sound like a strange baptism! I have a friend named Vesna-very unusual name so I was surprised when I saw it on your blog!

March 27, 2006  
Blogger Tracy Blankenship said...

yuckkkk....that is enough to give a little one nightmares, lol. Glad Kylie took it all with a grain of salt!

March 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, not a nice way to remember your child's baptism at all. I can't say I've ever been to a baptism quite like that. How sad. I have been to wedding ceremonies where I wondered what on earth the pastor was thinking when they chose the message they gave. Another situation where it should be uplifting and the doom and gloom stuff should be saved for pre-marital counseling or SOMETHING but not at the poor couple's wedding ceremony.

March 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home