Saturday, April 09, 2005

The Vatican


I took these photos of the Vatican with my APS when I was in Rome in 2001. It was such a beautiful day and St. Peter's was not very crowded, because it was August, and that's when most people in Italy, inlcuding the pope, go on holiday. We also didn't know when we got there that the Sistene Chapel was closed, so I was just heartbroken. But seeing everything else, somewhat made up for it - the pieta, the baldechin, the architecture. I was there more to see the work of Bernini and Michelangelo, than as a Catholic, but it was still overwhelming and amazing.

What amazes me even more, after watching the news all week, is how many people can fit into this space. As you can see, it was empty when I was there. And thousands and thousands of people crowded the square to say goodbye to the pope. I can' t imagine how overwhelming that would be. Posted by Hello

2 Comments:

Blogger Dani said...

WOW, just amazing photos!

April 13, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

These pics are so amazing - thanks for sharing them!

April 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home